Monday, February 16, 2009

Homework Doldrums

I'm coming up to my last day with my homestay family and sadly I have a huge paper to write so I can't really enjoy it. All this past week I've been in Global Issues/Intenational Affairs class so now my 3,500 word essay is due on Wed for that. It's interesting stuff but I must say I miss using my computer to type my papers instead of handwriting them. I just makes editing so much easier and faster.
Anyway, I have a few bits of news but nothing terribly interesting. I think I'm going to miss Christchurch, esp since I've had some crazy adventures here. (Ask me if you want the non-PG version of this). Also, the city has become pretty familiar and I like that. Today we went to the Antarctic Center which was cool (literally, we got to stand in a room that had windchills of 0degrees Celsius. We also saw penguins and learned a lot about Antarctica. Yesterday I got to be a construction worker with my host dad Nathan. I got to drive and operate a loader, one with the scoop on the front, and load sand into his truck. Then we drove that to the top of the hills near the city and Devon and I got to stand in the back and shovel the sand over an oil spill on the road. Later we went to the beach and got ice cream and then to this crazy/strange bar called the Wunderbar, in Lyttleton.
Tomorrow's a free day to basically write the paper and then we're off to the north part of the south island, which will hopefully be warm b/c it's been quite cool and windy here the past few days.
Oh, also, on Saturday I got to see the Crusaders vs. Chiefs rugby game which was SWEET! Rugby is awesome, and who knows, maybe I'll start to play with Alice, Margaret and Emma....or maybe I'll just enjoy the really muscle-y men!

Okie dokie. I guess all's been well but I must admit I have been missing some people back home. I think I just haven't been connecting or making as close of friends as I thought I would with the other students on the trip. I mean everyone's been really nice and stuff but I think I miss friends who know me. Also it seems like people on the trip don't really care about learning, or environmental issues, so I'm trying to figure out how my dorkyness fits in.

So sleepy now, which means I should get some sleep.
Love to everyone back at my homes,
Kate

No comments: