Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Playing Ketchup

I must apologize for not writing this past weekend. I was in "wild and wonderful" West Virginia visiting my roommate Senia. And even though I got back yesterday afternoon I was just too tired to type everything that had happened.

I guess I'll start where I left off.
Friday: After going to a boring meeting in the morning I left with a friend to drive down to West Virginia. The drive went pretty well, a bit boring, but what else can you ask for? I got to Senia's house around dinner time and we ate. Then she gave me the grand tour of her house, which I must say is old and big and beautiful! I took some photos but it's hard to get the feel of the house without actually being there. Basically, the house has lots of little levels that "spiral" around a central staircase. West Virginia on the whole though is very mountainy/hilly and since we had great weather it was also very green and gorgeous. That evening we met some of Senia's friends at a local coffee shop and sat around and talked.

Saturday: Senia had to work in the morning so I woke up and spent it reading outside in the sunshine! I also talked to her grandmother who was very nice and cute. Then we went down to a sort of summer fair/festival thing with lots of crafts and music and food and dancing. Next we went thrift store-ish shopping. And I was so jealous because Senia found these sweet red jeans that were on sale for $3!!! I did get some great things too though. For dinner Senia's mom made some great food, including delicious cornbread. That night we played lazer tag, which, as some of you know, I'm not terribly fond of, but it was ok. Mostly I just found a good place to hideout and sniped people.

Sunday: We woke up early and walked downtown on this forest trail which was so cool. There were lots of trees and even a grave were two women spies from the civil war were buried. As we passed over this bridge, a train went under us and I took a cool video on my camera of it. We ate breakfast at this awesome little bookstore, shop, cafe. I really, really liked it. If it had been just a little funky-er I might have just stayed there all day. It was the kind of bookstore/cafe I would like to be a regular at. Then we ate homemade icecream and hung around the cool, old, stately library. The rest of Sunday wasn't too exciting. I hung out with Senia's sister and friend, ate yummy local steak for dinner, then Senia and I walked around her scenic neighborhood.

Monday wasn't much. I drove back to Dayton, took a nap. Read some. Mostly just chilled.

I must say though that I truly appreciate everyone's advice and responses and reassurances about my traveling and future fears. I think some of it is my jealousy at everyone else living their international adventures this summer. I think I will have my own adventures this summer too, just small ones though.

I did take some pictures while I was in West Virginia and I'm going to put those on my facebook. Since all of you have that, just check there for those so I don't have to spend a bunch of time uploading them here.

Hope everyone is safe. : D

yours,
Kate

p.s. Here is a photo though: (this is a small sculpture of a man trying to climb out of the side of a building!)

3 comments:

Drew said...

Ummm, awesome. I love that kind of architecture and I´d like to be a regular at those kind of coffeeshops, too. Next semester, Franz and I want to start a book discussion club which meets at ArtStreet or something like that. We would read books and talk about them. And drink coffee. Interested in joining forces?

Unknown said...

The craft fair sounds really fun, and I must say that civil war women spies are AWESOME! I remember doing a report on them in 8th grade. It's still one of my favorite history projects. I like the sculpture dude, too.

As for traveling, I have some of the same fears that you do. Most of my traveling I keep putting off, saying that I'll go there later for this or that, but I just need to go places more often. Still, I have traveled a fair amount, and I've loved it all. I can't wait to go to France, and I'll so excited that you're going to New Zealand. For plane tickets there, look at studentuniverse.com. : )

Unknown said...

Hmmm... I didn't realize that using my username and password for my church group would mean that it would show up as a comment from that group.

That last comment was from Chelsea, and hopefully I'll figure out a way for this to show up as a comment from Chelsea.

Nope... I can't figure it out. I guess I'll go with the secret identity of my church group.