Thursday, June 26, 2008

"Jam, let's jam" - from the Glass of Milk and the Ovaltines ArtStreet Jam CD

Let me tell you a story.
Once upon a time, I was productive. Then I got a job at a research place and productivity fell to about 5%.

So this past Friday I went home and got ready to go to the lake with my family. On Saturday we drove up to the lake and got settled into our cozy cabin that is my 2nd home. (I've been staying for a week at this cabin every summer since my birth.) This year we made this really cute and fun 'tent' out on the back porch because there were not enough bedrooms for everyone. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow when I go back up to the lake. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I spent time with my extended family sailing, eating, boating, swimming, eating, talking and just doing all of the normal jamboree things that go on at the lake. It's kind of hard to explain what the lake is like without first hand experience. I did go sailing twice with my dad which was great because it was kind of like a father's day redo and also because I don't spend enough time with him. Someday I'll have to have him really show me how to sail. (I mean I kind of know how, but not like he does). I also spent time cooking with my mom. We made 6 pies with the help of my brother's girlfriend, which was fun and delicious. I also got attacked by lots of insects that decided they really liked me. Esp. cicadas, ick.

The rest of this week has been pretty chill. I've been getting together some of my study abroad stuff and financial aid. Just boring things like that. I am going kayaking today with the Rivers Institute people so that will be super! I think we're going to try kayaking on a different part of the river than we normally do so that should be exciting.

Finally, I would like leave you with some thoughts on life.
As one of my favorite book quotes says: Love as thou wilt.
And that means in all aspects of your life. It's kind of like saying, put love at the forefront of your life and just accept love in all its forms. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well so maybe Alice can help me out cuz I know she's read the Kushiel books by Jacquline Carey, which is where the quote is from. I just really like that these people value love above everything else.

Love,
Kate

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A 5% decrease in productivity is actually not as bad as it could be.

The lake sounds wonderful. Wish I could be there with you. Lake Michigan is pretty cool, too, but there's not a lot of boating and stuff where I'm at. Anyway, enjoy your family time!

<3 Chelsea