Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Coffee, Cake, Coffee and Cars

That title of this post is actually backwards chronologically, but I guess we'll go with it.

Cars: The wonderful people of the Rivers Institute took a field trip today to visit the Thomas More College River Station on the Ohio River and that was a lot of fun. I have some pictures but I'll put those on facebook probably.

Coffee: The book club met tonight to discuss The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver. It was an ok book and actually most of the people there tonight thought it was just ok as well. It didn't foster much discussion, but we still had a good time. The next book should be interesting if only because it's so long (I hope). If you feel like reading this 1,000 page monster, it's Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

Cake: I went to the grocery earlier today and bought some whipped cream to go with my red raspberries that I picked and the angel food cake I had. Emily and I ate that after the book club and it was DELICIOUS! I just LOVE fresh fruit, esp in the summertime.

Coffee (again): So a one Mr. Drew Morrison has got me on a mission to seek out all of the cool coffeehouses and cafes in the Dayton area which I have compiled a list for. I'm thinking that it will be really fun to go to each one with a few people and rate them all by different things. Kind of like we are food critics. Like we can rate them on atmosphere, friendliness, coffee/chai, location, etc... I think this will be a very good investment in moving away from the campus bubble. Any takers?

Finally, I don't really have any major thoughts but I do want to say that I am not just a number and I would rather be judged by who I really am and not by my social security number and GPA and bank account balance. Granted those things are part of me, but they do not define me. I'd like to think that the book of who I am has much more to it than what might appear on the cover.

I also think that traveling is important and so is reflection on experiences and oneself because it's always important to know oneself.

Tired but content for now,
Kate (or Katie, or KT, or Katherine, the choice is yours)

1 comment:

Drew said...

Wow, I'm honored to make a specific mention in this (great, by the way) blog. Not to get off topic too much, but a coffehouse should be more than a place where people drink fancy things and look trendy. A coffehouse should be a hangout, a train station of information, the crossroads of the city, a gateway to a larger world.

Here's a thought, although we may have had this conversation before: Have you ever thought how much a person is defined by the T-shirts they wear? In terms of personal history, I mean. What's the difference between the Abercrombie shirt some scud wears with an event that never existed on it and, say, all my old cross-country shirts? Actually, you have a whole quilt which kicks GPA right in the ass.

Plus, you've seen Batman. What we do defines who we are. But that isn't the whole story. Ever read Siddartha by Herman Hesse?