Thursday, July 24, 2008

One Last Note Before I Leave Civilization Behind

I'm at work, and this will probably be my last for sure internet access until August 3rd or 4th. If you need to get a hold of me, you can try my cell, but there's no guarantee that it will work either. I'm not sure whether I'm happy or sad to be leaving my dorm room today. I think a little of both. I'm definitely ready to move on and be done with this summer, but I have made somewhat of a place for myself there.
I wonder if I'll know how to interact with so many people around again. I hope so. I think I've become really quite this summer just by the fact that I've not had many people to talk to. And no, I haven't really talked to myself either, so I don't even have that.
Overall, I would recommend that people not stay on campus over the summer unless they know for sure of several friends who they will see on a regular basis. It's also a strange experience to be in this place where you're so used to seeing people and friends and such, that when you're here over the summer, it's like the heart and soul of the place is gone. Try to imagine UD without the people and that's a start to what it's like to be here during the summer.
So, in closing, I would like to make a list of all the things I have learned this summer:
-I LOVE being around people
-I do NOT want to work in a cubicle ever again
-I do not want to do research
-I do not like really cold air-conditioned buildings
-Even though it's really boring, I can waste a lot of time on the computer if I have to
-I like working with fun, friendly people at the Rivers Institute
-I never want to live alone
-It's hard to be the only person to initiate fun
-buying shoes online can become addictive
-Dayton does have stuff to offer, you just have to find it
-Farmers are VERY hard to get in touch with
-Blogs and emails can only convey a small portion of a conversation (i miss inflection and emphasis)
-I love chai tea (hot and cold)
-I can cook some things
-I get stupider in the summer
-Reading classic literature is hard because whoever decides books are classics has strange taste
-I can't wait to travel! (esp to NZ and Australia!)

and finally,
I've learned that one summer of being alone with myself is plenty of introspection for me

So, in the famous words of Edward Murrow,

Good Night, and Good Luck,

Kate

No comments: