Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Summer Apex -- A Poem

July first is the high noon of summer
It's been climbing to the top of my calendar for a month
waiting, rising, intensifying
I feel its bright and lonely scorcher sear
my alabaster, ginger-pale skin reddens
This July first brings both deadly UV and change
Here it comes
following closely behind this cronological apex
I gaze east and see August like a pale full moon
filled with promises
escape, nights of cool lunacy, you.
These 31 days can't fall off the horizon fast enough.

2 comments:

Drew said...

Grand, Katie, because I feel quite with you about how August is filled with promises.

Good moon metaphor, too. I rather liked it.

Franz said...

Beautiful imagery, Katie. I can just visualize the ginger-pale skin sizzling. choice.
It looks like you, Drew, and I are all in the same boat then, waiting for August, or mid-August.